Friday, February 01, 2019

No Man's Sky - Viewing the Grave

Monstrosity!
Die!
Leave me be!
Here lies me.




How can I react when viewing my own grave? Would you not immediately return to the scene? I might try to pretend I would sit and consider the wisest course of action but it was instinctual if I could live and see the scene I would immediately return. And what a beautiful game! It leaves my grave permanently marked on the spot those monstrosities ripped my flesh from my limbs.

I had more than 20 hours of gameplay in before my character died.  I hadn't played intentionally cautiously, I wasn't trying to play the entire game without dying, it was just the natural way I progressed through the game.  I foolishly opened the egg (how could I not? I was always going to open it) and suddenly was jumping running shooting at those monstrosities attacking me from seemingly all directions, I ran away, not any direction just away, turning then backing away and shooting and turning again and only managed to die in this natural crater. 

My resources, weapons, and equipment were gone, I couldn't resist. I had to go back to the site of my death.  On finding the grave I became quiet and reflective.  What a beautiful moment the game gave me. 

In video games, I've died thousands, maybe millions of deaths and it's usually the same thing. A black screen, a restart, a reload of a save, some lost progress or a moment of frustration, but this is the first time a game made me think.  And it didn't happen when my character died, it happened when I got back to the grave. What other games do this? 

Revisit this idea, replay another No man's sky death, screenshot the experience and capture the feelings along the way.

No comments: