Friday, May 03, 2019

5 Writing Tips from Raymond Carver



Raymond Carver’s 3 by 5 cards.

“I’ll put that on a 3 by 5 card and tape it to the wall 
beside my desk. I have some 3 by 5 cards on the wall now.” 

Raymond Carver is one of history's best short story authors. He might have died over 30 years ago, but these 5 index cards are still taped on his wall beside his desk.
   
    1.“Write a little every day, without hope and without despair.” ~ Isak Dinesen

     2.“Fundamental accuracy of statement is the ONE sole morality of writing.” ~ Ezra Pound

     3.“...and suddenly, everything became clear to him.” ~ Anton Chekov

     4.“No cheap tricks.” ~ Geoffery Wolff. “‘No tricks.’ Period. I hate tricks.” ~ Raymond Carver

     5. “No iron can pierce the heart with such force as a period put just at the right place." ~Isaac Babel.

I wanted to have each 3 by 5 card as a clickable link so they could shuffle in the reader's digital hand, quickly, without loading another page, so a reader could click 5 times, and each time a new index card with the quote would shuffle to the top of the pile. But, I'm afraid you'll just have to imagine that bit.

No comments: